Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Little Harvest Caye, Part II

"TT threw KiKi down the pee hole!"  I scream.
It's true, my sister Sarah has tossed KiKi, her beloved stuffed panda bear down the one of the two "pee holes" in the floor of our house on Little Harvest Caye.  Although we never use these holes for said activity, down on the moist sandy earth beneath our stilted little house is a horrible place for sweet KiKi.  It's all my fault that KiKi is down there, lying on her back, her black and white panda face still smiling up at us.  Sarah is trying to finish her schoolwork, she is doing math, her least favorite subject.  I just want her to be done, so we can go play outside and explore our island.  Because we are surrounded by the vast ocean, our mother likes Sarah and me to stay together.  So until Sarah gets though her math homework, I am landlocked inside.  I usually spend school work time drawing or coloring or singing songs with my mother, but today she is spending all her time helping Sarah with her math problems.  As impatience sets in, I begin telling  Sarah to hurry up, and asking her questions I already know the answer to, doing my well-rehearsed routine as an annoying little sister.  Soon I start gathering up all of our stuffed animals and dolls and pilling them near Sarah.  When I add KiKi to the ever growing pile, Sarah snaps.
Leave me alone!"  She shouts, and hurls KiKi through the hole with impressive aim.
Sarah is frustrated, I am distressed, and our mother looks like she is trying hold back laughter.  The drama doesn't seem as serious to her, she seems to think within 15 minutes of this disaster, my TT and I will be giggling and singing as we scamper off to see what adventures Little Harvest Caye has for us today.  After I rescue KiKi from under the house, and bring her back inside, Sarah and I laugh at how funny "TT threw KiKi down the pee hole" sounds, and before we know it, our mother is right.
We did have our share of near disasters on Little Harvest Caye.  Our boat, the " Sarah Jane", drifted  from where it was docked twice.  If my father hadn't swam strong and fast to retrieve it, we would have been stranded.  Once during a bad storm, the ocean swallowed up nearly our entire island, and huge waves washed away our newly planted vegetable garden.  The one true disaster came when my father’s new, expensive fish trap was stolen.  That fish trap was how my father was supposed to make money.  He would catch fish and sell on the mainland.  All of our family savings had been spent in preparing to move to Little Harvest Caye, so making money is essential.  Without this trap, my father is still able to catch plenty of fish for the family to eat, but nowhere near enough to sell.

With tensions between my parents growing, our time on this magical little island is coming to an end.  Sarah and I still play blissfully in the sand and in the mangrove trees, wearing our island uniform; underpants.  A shrub by our house looks like an underwear tree, because my mother uses it to dry our freshly washed underpants from the days before.  Sheets, clothes and especially underpants dry quickly on our windy and sunny island.  One of our favorite adventures is finding starfish by the ocean shore.  With their bright colors and textured exterior, they are the perfect accessory for little girls to toss around.  But too soon our days on Little Harvest Caye come to an end.  We pack up all our belongings, and Anelliot, our cat into our little boat.  My father starts the motor and hoists the sails, which were sewn by hand by my mother, and we are on the way.  On the way to where I don't know.  Will we have a house?  Will there be lots of snakes? Will we have enough to eat?  Will my father stay with us? Will I ever see Little Harvest Caye again?  All this uncertainty makes me worry, but as I watch Little Harvest Caye grow smaller and smaller in the distance Sarah puts her arm around me and I know every thing is going to be alright, no matter where our next adventure takes us.
-Rosanna Forman

No comments:

Post a Comment